Monday, August 13, 2012

Zucchini Bread



Zucchini seems to be the only thing that has been able to grow in the Colorado heat this summer. With an abundance of zucchini and no tomatoes to pair it with, I have been making zucchini bread like crazy!

I found a great recipe for zucchini bread. Below is my modified version since I'm allergic to most oils.

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 oz plain Greek yogurt*
  • 1/4 cup applesauce*
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
* I substituted Greek yogurt and applesauce for vegetable oil. The applesauce also allowed me to cut back on the sugar, since it is already sweetened.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees



I threw all the ingredients, except the grated zucchini, into a bowl and mixed. I can hear my 7th grade home economics teacher shaking her head at me for not sifting the dry ingredients, and mixing the wet ingredients together separately, before combining them all together. Sorry. Mrs. Wrigley! But honestly, I can't tell the difference, chemistry will do its thing either way.



I was concerned that there wasn't enough wet ingredients to incorporate all of the dry ingredients until I grated the zucchini. Zucchini is surprisingly a very juicy (for lack of a better word) vegetable. Fold in the zucchini until evenly distributed.



Grease and flour two loaf pans.



Fold the batter into the two greased and floured loaf pans.




Bake for 45 minutes. Test with a knife or toothpick to ensure the bread is cooked thoroughly. Let cool before cutting.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment