Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bright Idea: Modern Update

 My mom had found a pair of brass lamps at a garage sale for $15. Since all sales were final we couldn't return them to the 1960's, so they had to be updated. I liked the green in the middle but loathed the brass.

I teetered between painting the brass silver or a rod iron. I settled on this silver (Shiny Nickel) made by Rust-oleum that I purchased at Home Depot for around $8. I chose this one rather than it's cheaper counterpart since it had primer and paint in one.

First, cover your surface area. Be sure to cover around the perimeter as well since spray paint travels. Also, consider not leaving your cell phone on the table, mine now is covered in silver specks. Silver lining (ha!), the touch screen still works.

Second, I covered the green in the middle with painter's tape.

Shake the spray paint can vigorously for one minute and then hold the can 8- 12 inches away while painting. I had to stop and rotate the lamp so ensure equal coverage throughout.

Let dry for an hour before removing the tape and handling.

I can't even begin to express how much of an improvement spray paint created in updating this lamp! I am so happy with the way it came out!

Total Cost: $23.00
Time: 1 1/2 hours (including drying time)







No comments:

Post a Comment