Monday, July 16, 2012

Rainy Days: More Crayon Art

I've really been wanting to create this piece I am continually seeing on Pinterest. However being the depressive romantic I am (according to my mother, anyway), I settled on a mixture of blues, greys, dark purples, and a few blacks, to rain down on a couple under an umbrella.

Here's what you need:
  • Canvas (mine's 12in by 16 in)
  • Crayola crayons
  • Card stock
  • Scissors
  • Hot Glue Gun and Sticks
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint Brush
  • Newspaper
  • Hair Dryer



First, I needed the perfect silhouette of a couple under an umbrella. A harder feat than expected, but thanks to Google it was found. I cut out the picture on top of a piece of purple card stock, creating a silhouette. I Mod Podged the silhouette to the canvas, and allowed it to dry.





As the silhouette dried, I complied the pattern I wanted for my crayons with the points facing toward the bottom of the canvas. Once I decided on the placement of the crayons, I hot glued them into place. I used multi-temperature glue sticks so they wouldn't melt later with the blow drier.





 In order to create the umbrella effect, I had to make shield over the umbrella so that the crayon will melt "off" the umbrella. The tape didn't actually hold the shield too well and I ended up holding it in place for the most part.


Now to the melting side of the project. Be sure to protect any surfaces you will be working on. The actual melting took longer than I expected, but went a lot faster once started. It took about two minutes to get the ball rolling. I discovered that with regular Crayola crayons it was best to hold the hair dryer at a forty-five degree angle, half way down the crayon.



Since the shield wasn't the best, I used an Exacto knife to scrape off the crayon from the silhouette. All done!

No comments:

Post a Comment