Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tile Coasters: DIY


I currently have many projects on the mind, all including tiles. So while at Lowes today, I bought a box of 100 tiles, which usually retail for 10 cents each! I have a few parties this month that I need to provide presents and hostess gifts for and I figured coasters would be perfect!

What you need:
  • Four tiles (4.5in x 4.5 in)
  • Paper cut to 4in x 4in
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam Brush
  • Piece of Cardboard
  • Felt squares
  • Hot Glue Gun
I found this adorable paper at the Artisan Center today while browsing the Cherry Creek Sidewalk Sale. I small roll of it was only 50 cents! Using my paper cutter, I cut four 4 in by 4in squares.

First, clean the surface of the tile to ensure the best placement of the paper without bumps. Add an initial layer of Mod Podge.


Second, center the paper in the middle of the tile and smooth onto the surface. To ensure there are no air bubbles, I ran a piece of cardboard over the surface. However, air bubbles and dog hair were inevitable.

In the case of dog hair, remove carefully with tweezers before adding another layer of Mod Podge to seal and glaze the paper. Allow to dry.


Once the Mod Podge has dried, flip the tile over and attach four squares of felt to the bottom of the tile with a hot glue gun.


Wrap with a bow for a perfect gift!

Cost: $0.70!! Time: 40 minutes, including drying time

No comments:

Post a Comment