Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Vegetarian Chili and Corn Bread

It's summer here in Denver which means evening rain showers. As the day cools down, I often like something to warm me up! Tonight I made chili and corn bread for the family. It is no easy feat to cook for my family of five, with a vegetarian and a picky-eater. But four out of the five of us will eat it, so I figured why not give it a go!

I made up this recipe as I went but so far it smells and tastes good. I also do not measure spices, I just add by eye and what I think will taste good.

1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1/2 can of Wolfgang Puck's Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce (he already roasted the red peppers for me!)
2 zucchini, peeled, cut lengthwise and diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup of frozen corn (add at the last ten minutes of cooking)
Chili powder
Paprika
Oregano
Garlic powder (would have used fresh garlic but we were out!)
Onion powder
Tabasco

I honestly threw everything into a pot and let simmered for about 90 minutes. If needed to make this in a hurry, crank up the heat, since its vegetarian you don't need to worry about undercooked food! A dollop of sour cream, diced avocado, and fresh cilantro from the garden will garnish this dish nicely.


For the corn bread I just followed the recipe on the back of the canister because, I'm not fancy, nor did I have any fresh jalapenos to dice and add to the batter.


No comments:

Post a Comment